Listen close, Arizona Front Office:
No more saying our current bullpen will come around because it’s not going to happen. Why? Because a few, er, a majority of the pitchers need to go to the minors and work on control or just are unable to handle the pressure.
After witnessing it in person in Seattle tonight, I will be EXTREMELY upset if Arizona does not move at least five or six people from their bullpen. “But that’s such a high number!” Yes, but that is what it’s going to take to help Arizona from blowing games.
To give Seattle credit, Griffey’s two-run home run sent chills down my back, especially since his entrance song was that old Chicago Bulls warmup theme. But still, after being annoyed by Seattle sports talk radio claiming “Griffey changed our season,” I feel it was Tony Pena screwing up more than anything. He’s a mental case and was probably thinking, “Oh Gawd, it’s Ken Griffey Jr. What am I suppose to do?”
If I were the GM of the team, here’s what I *think* I would do:
1. Give Schoenweiss more time to work mechanics. Yeah, he’s old and he hasn’t been that reliable, but his wife just died (I’m weak, I know). Just need to drill in his head that he needs to pitch for her.
2. Send Esmerling Vasquez and Dan Schlereth to the Minors. They both have crazy speed and potential, but horrible command. They are not ready for the big league level.
3. Trade Qualls, Gutierrez, and Pena for José Valverde. Wait, didn’t we trade FOR two of these three guys two years ago, sending Valverde to the Astros? Yes, but there is a need for an intense and flashy closer on the team. Even though he blows a few saves he makes things exciting.
4. Even if we don’t get Valverde, we need some bullpen guys. Clay Zavada can be our new closer and Leo Rosales can be our setup man. No one is more consistent in the pen than these guys.
Super Stache: Zavada Can Save the DBacks Pen Whoas, One Mustache at a Time.
5. Cut Byrnes. Who cares if Arizona owes him money; they’re paying for little to nothing as is, so why not get him off the team and let someone more deserving help them win.
If Arizona’s bullpen blows another game, which with the current setup they will, I may have to send Josh Byrnes an email asking why he won’t make moves in his bullpen and hope to God I get a response.